Re: dealing with multiple domains

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: dealing with multiple domains
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:17:01 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> This is an odd discussion. It's a chick-egg scenario. New hosts
> have no /etc/resolv.conf so cfengine usually sets them based on the
> definition of domain, so it certainly makes no sense to set the
> domain based on what /etc/resolv.conf contains.

In my situation, I'm using ISconf to build my systems and do nearly all of
the actual administrative work, I just want to use cfengine to do
relatively simple monitoring and maintenance; things like tripwire-like
functionality, and making sure processes are running.

ISconf sets up /etc/resolv.conf in my system, at least currently, but even
that is set based on DNS, so essentially, that information is mastered out
of DNS.

> Why not just do this?
[SNIPped example based on IP segmentation]

Because my hosts are segmented into subdomains based on their function,
not on their network addresses.  Regardless of whether that's a good idea,
it's done.

Luke

--
   This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this
   space has nothing but text explaining that this space would otherwise