Re: dealing with multiple domains

From: Marion Hakanson
Subject: Re: dealing with multiple domains
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:58:25 -0800

> This is an odd discussion. It's a chick-egg scenario. New hosts
> have no /etc/resolv.conf so cfengine usually sets them based on the
> definition of domain, so it certainly makes no sense to set the
> domain based on what /etc/resolv.conf contains.
> . . .

Actually, a freshly-jumpstarted Solaris machine has /etc/resolv.conf,
complete with domain declaration (assuming you provided the necessary info
in the "sysidcfg" file).  Even a fresh interactive Solaris install will
setup resolv.conf.

Like Luke Kanies mentioned, we also cannot assume a domain based on
the network number.

And like another poster, our site does not currently use cfengine's
builtin method(s) to manage /etc/resolv.conf.  We use "copy".  Call
me old fashioned, but I like to know exactly which bits are being
installed, and to keep them under version control if possible.

Regards,

--
Marion Hakanson <hakanson@cse.ogi.edu>
CSE Computing Facilities