Re: Editfiles convergence bug

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Editfiles convergence bug
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:50:21 -0500

On 18 Feb 2003, bianco@jlab.org wrote:
> I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to add an "account" action to
> handle password file entries.  Hmmm...
>
> account:
>       any::
>               root    uid=0
>                       gid=0
>                       homedir=/
>                       gecos="System Administrator"
>                       passwdhash="jklfd278h93k7"
>                       inform=yes
>
> What do you guys think?

I'm doing work in that direction with cfperl.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/cfperl/

(make sure to look at the CVS sources, they have the new 'deploy'
action as well for installing files based on host name and a hierarchy
of configurations)

AFAIK, Mark B. is not going to add this sort of functionality to the
core of cfengine, so it has to be done through a module or something
like cfperl, which is cfengine-compatible but not dependent on it.
Issues such as the NIS/NIS+/LDAP/etc. external account management
backends are also an interesting challenge, and cfperl attempts to
handle them.

Thanks
Ted