cfrun vs. cfservd

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: cfrun vs. cfservd
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:35:49 -0600 (CST)

cfservd serves two functions:  As a fileserver daemon, and as an agent to
run cfagent remotely.

I can't seem to configure for one without the other, and I can't seem to
restrict one without restricting the other.

I want to configure a small number of hosts as fileservers, and then
configure one or two hosts as fortress servers which can contact any host
on the network and run cfagent.

I specifically don't want any host to have the ability to initiate cfagent
on any other host, and I specifically don't want to enable every host to
be a fileserver.

Is there a conflict between these two types of functionality, or is there
a way to get around it that I'm not seeing?

Also, although the docs for cfrun claim that cfrun.hosts should be in
CFINPUTS, I can't get it to see the file anywhere except in the CWD I'm
running cfrun from.

This is all for 2.0.4; I haven't yet had the opportunity to upgrade.

Thanks.

--
Today at work an ethernet switch decided to take the 'N' out of NVRAM
                -- Richard Letts