Starting cfexecd from cfagent

From: Matt Armstrong
Subject: Starting cfexecd from cfagent
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:56:13 -0700

I would like to run cfexecd in daemon mode, and I'd like cfagent to
launch it if it isn't running.  So I throw this in to my cfagent.conf:

    processes:
        "cfexecd" restart "/var/cfengine/bin/cfexecd"

But cfexecd is also run from cron like this:

    0,30 * * * * root /var/cfengine/bin/cfexecd -F

And it seems that cfagent, when run from cfexecd, can't spawn cfexecd.
Maybe this is why the tutorial doesn't recommend doing this.

Is there a simple solution to this?  It'd be nice to get cfagent
launching cfexecd, since the point of cfengine is to avoid the
portability problems of doing this kind of thing with external
scripts.

Maybe these difficulties are why the tutorial recommends depending
on cron and glosses over how to set up launching cfexed in daemon
mode:

http://www.cfengine.org/docs/cfengine-Tutorial.html#Running%20cfengine%20permanently

--
matt