Re: [Cfengine] Run Once

From: Tjeerd Hes
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] Run Once
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 00:54:12 +0100 (MET)

> So, does anyone know of the easiest way to guarantee a task will run
> once?   I'm looking to make sure every  machine runs a command one
> time...it  doesn't matter when, just that it does it once.  Any ideas?

Hi Nathan,

Probably because of a leg of cfengine knowledge I resolved this with a
shell script. The idea is simple; three dirs called bin adm & log.
In the bin dir; the script(s) called change????.sh
In the adm dir; a touched file if the script did run successful.
You will find out the log dir yourself...
The return value of the scripts in the bin dir is the key to success.
Our script is called change_managment.sh but could als be called
run_once.sh . We run it in a solaris env with over 100 'clients'.
Adjust to your needs and it will do the job.
We are now upto change0036.sh.
We call the change_managment.sh in a other scripts dir in our 'daily'
cfengine run with succes.
Feetback always welcome...
(it was written in one night, stimulated by heineken {like now})

Succes,
Tjeerd.

--
Tjeerd Hes                              tjeerd.hes@sara.nl
sara system services                    020 592 3015