Re: file modification

From: Ryan Anderson
Subject: Re: file modification
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:02:17 -0600

I got this code from someone else that lets you change the encrypted
password in /etc/shadow if the masterfile is different from the
system's. The kicker is that it will only change what is different, so
your masterfile could have only one line or 100, it will only change the
lines that are different. This could be modified to do what you want.

============
editfiles:
    solaris::
        {   /etc/shadow
            SplitOn ":"
            ForEachLineIn "$(masterfile)"
                ReplaceLinesMatchingField "1"
            EndLoop
        }
=============

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> Debbie Brown <debbieb@ti.com> 03/06/03 01:49PM >>>
Thanks, but I don't want to have to add each individual line in the
cfengine
config file.

Several of our desktops have customized config files (/etc/system for
example).  I would like to have a group of files (i.e. file1) that
only
contain the lines that are unique for these config files (i.e. file2);
each
file will be unique to the system it updates.  Any admin can update
this
group of files & they don't have to have cfengine knowledge.
Basically,
these files are like a template that contains the special additions
that need
to be added to certain files on the system.

We have a large network & are looking for an easy way to update &
maintain
unique customizations to desktops, so any admin can make modifications
without having to go through specific people to update the cfengine
config
file.

Please note that this is only for unique system changes; not for our
standard
config.