RE: Application management

From: Wheeler, John
Subject: RE: Application management
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:50:16 -0600

Paul,
This question gets asked a lot. There have been many solutions submitted
with varying complexity. Read this thread to get an Idea of what some
have done:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=mail
man.536.1040617267.19936.help-cfengine%40gnu.org&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq
%3Dinstall%2Bsoftware%2Bgroup:gnu.cfengine.help%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3
DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Dmailman.536.1040617267.19936.help-cfengine%
2540gnu.org%26rnum%3D1

If the link doesn't work it's a post originating from Luke Kanies on Dec
21.

Not sure if this thread contains it or not, but also some interesting
reads on ISconf http://www.isconf.org/ and template tree
http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/tetre2/. Although they sound like
interesting tools, at this point I've chosen not to implement a cross
breed solution. Finally, I think there are a few papers published on
utilizing a database and the rpm format for all package management.

-undo - I think some of the tools I mention above my do a better job of
state mgmt. I personally don't try to "undo", but I don't have a good
alternative (brute force).

I'll also addressing the application management aspect of things. Its in
its infancy right now but here's what I have to deploy a webapp to an
app server.
[root@meriadoc]:> more registerDeploy.conf
control:
        actionsequence  = (
                        shellcommands.registerDeploy
                        )
        CVSTAGFILES = ( sysops/sites/register/qa/cvstagfiles )
#  The cvstagfiles are the files I pull from cvs to do this deploy
        REGISTER_TAG    = ( deploy_register_03202003 )
# this is the tag I use for checkout

shellcommands:
        registerDeploy::

                # Get the file that indicates the files needed for this
deploy
                '/bin/su - deploy -c "cvs checkout -r $(REGISTER_TAG)
${CVSTAGFILES}"'
# the "deploy" user is a limited access cvs user ( host access as well
as cvs tree)
                # Get the file from cvs indicated from the file above
                '/bin/su - deploy -c "awk
$(quote){print\${dollar}7}$(quote) ${CVSTAGFILES}|xargs cvs checkout -r
${REGISTER_TAG}'

# nasty ugly but works get the 7th field from the map above and checkout
the file

import:
# currently on doing app code update
        registerAppDeploy.conf

[root@meriadoc]:> more registerAppDeploy.conf
control:
        actionsequence  = (
                        shellcommands.stopTomcat.registerAppDeploy
                        tidy.registerAppDeploy
                        directories.registerAppDeploy
                        copy.registerAppDeploy
                        links.registerAppDeploy
                        shellcommands.startTomcat.registerAppDeploy
                        )

        APPBASE = ( /webapps/register-8006 )
        SOURCEDIR = ( /export/home/deploy )

shellcommands:

        registerAppDeploy.stopTomcat::
                '/bin/su - tomcat -c "${APPBASE}/bin/tomcat.sh stop"'

        registerAppDeploy.startTomcat::
                '/bin/su - tomcat -c "cd
${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp;/usr/apps/java/bin/jar xvf
../RegistrationWebapp.war"'
                '/bin/su - tomcat -c "${APPBASE}/bin/tomcat.sh start"'
tidy:
        ${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp
                recurse=inf
                age=0
                include=*
                rmdirs=all

directories:

# below is nasty but need to make sure all dirs are owned by tomcat
        registerAppDeploy::
                ${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp
                        mode=755
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                ${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp/WEB-INF
                        mode=755
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                ${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp/WEB-INF/lib
                        mode=755
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat

copy:
        registerAppDeploy::
                ${SOURCEDIR}/bcom/stable/ext/lib
                        dest=${APPBASE}/lib
                        mode=750
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                        include=sax2.jar
                        include=commons-pool.jar
                        include=commons-dbcp.jar
                        include=xerces.jar
                        include=ora816jdbc.jar
                        ignore=CVS
                        recurse=1
                        type=checksum
                        backup=false

                ${SOURCEDIR}/bcom/stable/ext/lib

dest=${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp/WEB-INF/lib
                        mode=750
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                        include=log4j.jar
                        include=commons-collections.jar
                        include=commons-logging.jar
                        ignore=CVS
                        recurse=1
                        type=checksum
                        backup=false

                ${SOURCEDIR}/bcom/registration/registration-lib/resource
                        dest=${APPBASE}/classes
                        mode=750
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                        include=regprod.jocl
                        include=regqa.jocl
                        ignore=CVS
                        recurse=1
                        type=checksum
                        backup=false

                ${SOURCEDIR}/generated/RegistrationWebapp.war
                        dest=${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp.war
                        mode=750
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                        type=checksum
                        backup=false

                ${SOURCEDIR}/generated/Registration.jar

dest=${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWebapp/WEB-INF/lib/R
egistration.jar
                        mode=750
                        owner=tomcat
                        group=tomcat
                        type=checksum
                        backup=false

links:
        registerAppDeploy::
                ${APPBASE}/webapps/cdreg ->
${APPBASE}/webapps/RegistrationWeba
pp
                ${APPBASE}/webapps/registration ->
${APPBASE}/webapps/Registrat
ionWebapp
                ${APPBASE}/webapps/subscribe ->
${APPBASE}/webapps/Registration
Webapp

Basically:
Shutdown tomcat
Tidy ( remove ) old webapp
Copy files (parent file did cvs checkout) to destination
Create symlinks
Unjar webapp (tomcat won't auto deploy if dir exists)
Start tomcat

I don't do it here, but you could define a class for "overlap" and check
in subsequent files for that class to prevent the action from taking
place again.

wheeler

OpenPKG