Re: Application management

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Application management
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:12:38 +1100

This one time, at band camp, Paul Dlug wrote:
>- Package management: what methods are people using to manage FreeBSD
>and/or Solaris packages with cfengine? I'd like to use platform
>specific packages were possible instead of something like RPM or OpenPKG

I'm (slowly, i.e. when I get a chance to do some development work) working
on a patch to cfengine to add a "package:" section, but currently it hasn't
gone past the design stage and I'm currently to busy to start implementing
it :(  I want to be able to support RPM and Debian packages, and the plan is
to be extensible to other package management systems (I have no idea how the
commercial unices do their package management).

>- "Undo": how do you gracefully handle the case were a server has been
>removed from a group and should no longer have the
>software/mounts/configuration needed for that app.

I try to write my configuration inputs to do the minimum necessary on a
default installation, then tracking those changes and reverting becomes less
complex.  It's still hard though -- I think the current solution is to
handle both the inclusive and exclusive classes and either add or remove the
configuration, i.e.:

editfiles:

   someclass::

      ... changes ...