Re: Application management

From: Paul Heinlein
Subject: Re: Application management
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 07:02:22 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

> What do people think of this?  I'm open to comments, I haven't
> started developing such a patch just yet so I'm not committed to
> this syntax yet. I get the impression that a lot of people would
> find it useful though.

*nod*

I have an old Alpha running Debian at home, but most of my experience
is with Red Hat and rpm.

I'd suggest a couple syntax items

  multiple={ok | warn | removelowest}
  install={replace | add}

This sort of thing would be especially helpful with kernel packages.
New kernels could be installed on a system without having to remove
the old ones.

In any event, having a syntax to describe a policy concerning multiple
packages with the same name seems to me to be a good thing.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein@cse.ogi.edu>