Backreferencing with ReplaceAll

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: Backreferencing with ReplaceAll
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:08:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks:

I've been trying to tackle an issue with a file that I have to keep in
sync between several boxes, which is different wherever it goes.
Basically I need to take a line

phone=555-1212

and transform it into

phone=9,555-1212

One way I'd like to do this is to match the regular expression, and use
parenthesis to capture the results of the actual phone number match and
then refer back to the results of the match after I do the replacement.
I believe this would be a convergent means of performing this match.
Basically I'm trying to use the \1 to recover the phone number that was
matched, it would appear that \1 may not be available for use, and I was
wondering if there is an alternative.

{ /etc/phonelist
               ReplaceAll "phone=([0-9-]{2,})" With "phone=9,\1"
}

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian Seppanen