getting 'processes:' to fire signals

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: getting 'processes:' to fire signals
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:25:48 -0500

I'm finding that my 'processes:' section does not send specified signals as often as I think it should. The signals are sent once in a while (every few hours, apparently), but to ensure them being sent it seems that I need to use the -K flag. Cfrun seems to ignore the -K option (when running with "cfrun -- -K"), so that is not a practical workaround for my environment (which uses cfrun to instead of cfexecd). Running at -d2 shows that cfagent simply doesn't want to send the signals: "Nothing scheduled for processes.allprocs (0/1 minutes elapsed)".

What is the mechanism that causes this behavior? How can I manipulate it to make cfengine more willing to send signals? This is causing me a lot of grief (things like daemons not being hupped after their config files are tweaked).

FWIW, I have my ExpireAfter set to 55; it doesn't seem to matter wether the cfagent is run out of cfservd, cron, or by hand.
-Chip

--

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by
the coffee that the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire