RE: 'singlecopy' oddities in 2.0.5

From: Wheeler, John
Subject: RE: 'singlecopy' oddities in 2.0.5
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:12:22 -0500

> I'm not sure I understand the benefit of rolling this inside
>
> cfengine -- my repository is a checked-out CVS tree and I manage
>
> the version control of the files it contains as a meta-problem.
>
> This keeps cfengine's job simple -- it knows what files to look for
>
> and it's at my discretion which branch/version it will find.

It seems that a lot of folks manage there cfengine installation this way
(with control files in cvs). I think it would stream line the process of
file tree deployments greatly. Instead of doing a cvs update in your
sand box then letting cfagent run at whatever interval you've selected,
let cvservd pull the correct file ( based on a tag ) directly from cvs.
You've eliminated a step of extracting the right version/branch from
cvs, and documented the proper file within the control script. This
could also prevent a large number of users from collisions within the
control file sandbox.

> What problems did you run into for which this type of approach
>
> didn't work?

Concept stage. Thought I'd share with you folks so you could tell me how
full of it I am. I'll research it a bit more this summer. Thanks for
feed back.