Mac OS X Jaguar notes and questions

From: Dave Botsch
Subject: Mac OS X Jaguar notes and questions
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 05:09:16 GMT

Hi, Folks.

Here at CCMR, we are using cfengine to do a large part of keeping our
Macintosh 10.2 computers up to date with various things.

At the moment, in concert with our linux computers, we are running
cfengine 1.2

For the most part it works great (it just compiled and made with out any
tinkering around, which was also great).

Two issues:

1. defining a class with the Define=classname does not seem to work
under OS X. For whatever reason, cfengine seems to just be ignoring
these define statements and not defining classes when doing something
like copying a new config file, etc.

example:

        AddInstallable = ( ReloadCups )

(snip)

        $(masterfiles)/$(sys)/etc/cups/printers.conf
dest=/etc/cups/printers.conf type=sum mode=0655 owner=daemon group=admin
define=ReloadCups
        $(masterfiles)/$(sys)/etc/cups/ppd dest=/etc/cups/ppd type=sum
mode=0755 owner=daemon group=admin recurse=inf define=ReloadCups

(snip)

       ReloadCups::
            "/bin/touch /tmp/test.cups"

as an example of what to try when the real script there fails to
execute. Nothing is ever touched. Maybe this has been fixed in a later
version? Maybe I am missing something? Maybe it is a bug that still
exists?

2. Resource forks

With non-resouce fork filesystems or files that don't require the
resource forks, we can do like above with the printers.conf file. But
what about files that have resource forks? Can we do something other
than just recopying them using /Developer/Tools/CpMac every time
cfengine runs?

Thanks!!
-Dave Botsch
CCMR Computing Facility