Re: How to copy files from a Client back to the server

From: Thomas Glanzmann
Subject: Re: How to copy files from a Client back to the server
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 01:55:19 +0200

> manually without help of cfengine. From then on, before installing a
> new host, we first generate the ssh host key pairs on the cfengine
> server and then have the client copy those keys securely from the
> server using cfengine. This prevents the ssh host keys from being lost
> when the machine is reinstalled and the we can easily generate the
> site-wide ssh_known_hosts file on the server and then distribute it to
> other places using cfengine.

We're using different mechanisms:

        On Client reinstall. The old hostkeys are preserved from the old
        partition.

        If no hostkey could be recovered a new one is regenerated.

        Every hour runs a script on our site and informs us of
        workstations with changed ssh keys. (using ssh-keyscan)

        If we reisntall a workstation we manually trigger a script unter
        supervision to collect the changed key from the workstation and
        include it into ssh_known_hosts.

I think it is *bad* practice to collect all private keys on one machine.
But on the other side ... if this one machine is compromised you have
other problems then you're ssh keys. :-)

        Thomas