Re: Strategy for "one-off" tasks

From: Christopher DeMarco
Subject: Re: Strategy for "one-off" tasks
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:50:17 +0800

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:34:08AM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> If not, X should never be running.  Having cfengine check every time
> it executes that X is not running, and killing it if it is, is not a
> time  consuming  operation  and ensures  that  you   *never* have  X
> running...

Not what I meant at all - that *is* silly  ;) If I invoke cfagent with
-D SPECIAL it will not go through its normal routine but only look for
"special" classes.   If I don't  hand-define  anything beyond SPECIAL,
cfagent should do nothing.  I have a  web interface which lets me kill
X on any of my kiosks, at the press of a  button, since they're spread
out over  three buildings   this is the    closest I  can come   to  a
ctrl-alt-backspace... it's  always  and  only manual,  done frequently
enough that it's nice to have a three-finger-salute at my disposal.

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
  Christopher DeMarco