RE: Strategy for "one-off" tasks

From: Ferguson, Steve
Subject: RE: Strategy for "one-off" tasks
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:50:08 -0400

Yes, but cron has no capability to distribute a script to over a hundred
systems.  Scripts to change over time, and in our environment NFS is not
usable between our internal and our DMZ hosts.  So some sort of copying
mechanism (preferably one that supports encryption) is required.

I guess my view is that if I've gone to all the trouble to set up cfengine,
and it comes with all these neat bells and whistles, I'd like to actually
use them.

Because I can come up with a viable strategy, I plan to use it.  cron
doesn't meet my needs, additionally because I might decide I need an audit
before the next cron run was scheduled.  With cfengine I can do an immediate
cfrun.  With cron, no such luck.

Steve