Re: Strategy for "one-off" tasks

From: David Douthitt
Subject: Re: Strategy for "one-off" tasks
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:43:24 -0500

On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 09:43  AM, Nielsen, Steve wrote:

This is something that I have been wanting to tackle for a while as well.
Just have not had the time to get around to it. The controlled roll-out
should also include some way to track if a task was completed on a given machine. I was planning on implementing something using mysql and a module
in cfengine. What ideas have you had about this?

My current thinking is to do this with one or two hidden files - an inversion of the one-off process listed earlier:

classes:

  DoUpdate = ( FileExists(/var/cfengine/.update) )
  AlwaysUpdate = ( FileExists(/var/cfengine/.update-always) )

shellcommands:

  DoUpdate::
    "apt-get -q -y update" define=updatedone

  AlwaysUpdate::
    "apt-get -q -y update"

  updatedone::
    "rm -f /var/cfengine/.update"