cfservd core dumping on OSF1 V4.0 (was: snprintf.c on OSF1 V4.0)

From: Ferguson, Steve
Subject: cfservd core dumping on OSF1 V4.0 (was: snprintf.c on OSF1 V4.0)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:45:02 -0400

Okay, I got one step further by simply renaming the system's
/usr/ccs/lib/libdb.a and rebuilding.  No other elegant solution of cc and ld
options would fix it (including a null -L to zero out the search path and
using -exclude to exclude specific libraries).

I got the binaries built.  cfkey works.  cfagent works.  cfservd not so
much.  I tried connecting to it remotely with cfrun got the usual vague
authentication error.  Running cfservd on the DEC box in debug mode (-d2), I
got this:

Socket caller address appears honest (xx.yy.zz.228 matches xx.yy.zz.228)
cfservd: Socket originates from xx.yy.zz.228=bigbox.my.domain.com
Attempting to verify honesty by looking up hostname (bigbox.my.domain.com)
IPV4 hostnname lookup on bigbox.my.domain.com
Stack overflow: pid 5480, proc cfservd, addr 0x1400fff18, pc 0x3ff800f0894
Memory fault(coredump)

And cfservd dies, dumping core:

root@ahu004.abh.vw.com:cfengine# ls -al core
-rw-------   1 root     daemon   1654784 Jul 16 11:38 core
root@ahu004.abh.vw.com:cfengine# file core
core:   core dump, generated from 'cfservd'

This is repeatable.  It happens consistently.

Any ideas why this would happen?  Has anyone seen this with 2.0.7p3 on an
OSF1 V4.0 box? Lacking the ability to remotely use cfrun isn't a
show-stopper just now, but it's going to be inconvenient.

Steve