managing change control under cfengine

From: Jeff Wasilko
Subject: managing change control under cfengine
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:28:46 -0400

I'm in the midst of rolling out cfengine at a very old legacy
environment (I've only been here for 4 months and I'm trying to
get away from managing systems to managing the infrastructre).

Today I was told I would need to be able to roll out changes in 4
steps (our IS infrastructure, Application dev, App Beta and
Production).

I was wondering how other people are manging this without ending
up with a very complex cfengine environment?

The bulk of my configuration in cfengine is done as file copies,
with a few files: and shellcommands:

I see 2 possible solutions:

1) 4 separate 'distribution roots' that are built based on CVS
checkouts of 4 separate tagged trees. I'm not a CVS wiz, though.

2) 4 separate versions of each 'file set'. I say 'file set' since
many files differ based on policy (default route, resolv.conf, etc).

Any thoughts?

-j