Stumped on editfiles problem

From: Ferguson, Steve
Subject: Stumped on editfiles problem
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:49:42 -0400

I'm running the same configuration on a Solaris 8 and a 2.6 system.  This
works as expected on the 8 system, but does nothing on the 2.6 box.

editfiles:
  { /etc/inetd.conf
    SetCommentStart "#"
    CommentLinesMatching "^\<daytime\>.*"
    DefineClasses "HupInetd"
  }

The relevant lines from inetd.conf look like this on the 2.6 box (default
shipped with 2.6):

daytime stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
daytime dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

They looks like this on the 8 system:

daytime stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
daytime dgram   udp6    wait    root    internal

Running on the 8 box in debug mode, I see this:

Edit action: CommentLinesMatching
Commenting #daytime     stream  tcp6    nowait  root    internal
Commenting #daytime     dgram   udp6    wait    root    internal

On the 2.6 box I don't see any "Commenting" actions in the debug output.

Begin editing /etc/./inet/inetd.conf
Edit action: SetCommentStart
Edit action: CommentLinesMatching
Edit action: DefineClasses

I've even tried copying inetd.conf from the 8 box to the 2.6 box, just to be
certain I didn't have any sort of bizarre embedded unprintable characters in
the file (od didn't show any).  So I have the same config section and the
same target file, but on one system cfengine will make the change and on the
other it won't.

I'm stumped.  Any suggestions on what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Steve

PS. I'm having the same "no op" issue on ALL of my DEC boxes too.  I don't
care about them yet, because I haven't been able to get cfservd to run
successfully there yet.  It's just an additional data point.

--
Steve Ferguson
gedas USA, Inc.