Platform string

From: Ferguson, Steve
Subject: Platform string
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:28:05 -0400

I'm looking to create a variable that can give me essentially this:

uname -sr | tr ' ' '_'

E.g.

SunOS_5.8
HP-UX_B.11.00
Linux_2.4.20-20.9

Cfengine has arch, class, and ostype.  Of these, class and ostype can't
differentiate Solaris 7 from Solaris 8 (class is sun4, ostype is sun4u).
arch can differentiate, but it further differentiates kernel patch levels.
I want all Solaris 7 boxes grouped in one definition.

My end result is for binary updates.  For various reasons, I have to
maintain separate binaries for Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8.  Right now I have a
mass of symlinks in my repository that I'd like to clean up.  Is there a way
I can define a variable in the control section based on a shell escape?

What's "The Cfengine Way" for accomplishing this?  I'm open to other
approaches, so long as they meet the basic functionality of differentiating
major releases (and no more granular than that) of a single OS.

Steve

--
Steve Ferguson <steve.ferguson@gedas.com>
gedas USA, Inc.