Mode of AutoCreated files by editfiles has changed

From: Jim Wight
Subject: Mode of AutoCreated files by editfiles has changed
Date: 13 Sep 2003 14:07:19 +0100

Somewhere between 2.0.4 and 2.0.7p3 the mode of files created by
AutoCreate in editfiles changed from 644 to 600. The documentation at
www.cfengine.org and that provided with 2.0.8p1 continue to say:

AutoCreate
        If this command is listed anywhere in the file action list,
        cfengine will create the named file if it doesn't exist.
        Normally cfengine issues an error if the named file does not
        exist, but if this is set, notification of the file's absence is
        only in verbose output. New files are created with mode 644 (see
        also Umask), read access for everyone and write access for the
        cfengine user (normally root). Note that if you set this,
        BeginGroupIfFileIsNewer will always be true.

Which is it supposed to be?

Yes, I can use Umask, but I didn't discover I needed it until software
on a machine I upgraded to a system with 2.0.7p3 stopped working because
it could no longer read a file that cfengine creates for it to use.

Jim