Re: Package management

From: Zouhir Hafidi
Subject: Re: Package management
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:37:13 +0200 (MEST)

>I would like to ask about the RPM package management stuff.
>I am not a big user of RPM, but I would like to try this
>out now and see whether it can be done for debian packages too.
>(getapt is a wonderful thing)
>
>I wonder:
>
> How does rpm know where to look for packages?
> What if they are at a remote source?
> Could the packages be downloaded in from cfservd?
> If so, where should they go?
> How are dependencies handed?
>
>If this has been explained to me previously than I apologize.
>I am wading through old mail, and working on "methods"
>for 2.1.0... any help appreciated.
>
>e.g.
>
> Suppose I want to make sure that all hosts have tcpdump installed
> and that requires the pcap library as a dependency. How do I
> express that, given that the packages are all on a DVD...or
> copied into some source dir.

I am writing a howto which explains the procedure to:

1- autoinstall with kickstart
2- autoupdate with yum
3- maintain with cfengine

The part on cfengine is not finished yet.

here it is:

http://math.univ-lille1.fr/~hafidi/deploy_and_maintain_howto/

ZH
Zouhir HAFIDI
USTL, U.F.R. de Mathematiques, Bat. M2
F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq CEDEX, FRANCE
tel (+33) 3.20.43.45.15 fax (+33) 3.20.43.43.02