Append line with a backslash at the end?

From: Lars Damerow
Subject: Append line with a backslash at the end?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:53:21 -0700

Hi folks,

I want to use cfengine to write a file that has backslashes as the last
character of some of its lines. I can't find the right way to do it, though.

I tried using this:

    Append "foobar \\"
    Append "blah \\"

but cfengine insists on using the backslash to escape the quote at the end of
the line, giving me this QSTRING:

QSTRING "foobar \\"
            Append "

I get the same QSTRING if I only put one backslash. If I put a space in between
the slashes and the quote, cfengine gets close:

QSTRING "foobar \ "

...but am-utils won't read lines with a space after the continuation character.

How does one do this correctly? Please CC me on any responses as I don't belong
to the list.

Thanks very much!
-lars

lars damerow
button pusher
pixar animation studios
lars@pixar.com

"Okay, there's the house. I'm not stopping the car, so you'll have to
jump out."