cfservd segmentation faults

From: Jeremy Dreese
Subject: cfservd segmentation faults
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:16:56 -0400

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the bug list but here it is...

I recently upgraded from version 2.0.4 to 2.0.8p1 and I've been receiving
segmentation faults from cfservd on my cfengine server.  Debugging mode
(--debug) didn't seem to provide helpful info because it seemed to seg fault at
different places each time (probably just different amounts of output buffered
before the seg fault?).  So I recompiled with debugging on (-g to compiler) and
had cfservd crash twice with similar info.  I don't know much about using gdb,
but from a previous post I saw that it was suggested to run "gdb -c core
/path/to/cfservd" and then type "backtrace".  Here's what I received:

Core was generated by `/var/cfengine/bin/cfservd --debug'.
#0  0x40095bc2 in ?? ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x40095bc2 in ?? ()
#1  0x4008c561 in ?? ()
#2  0x4008c61e in ?? ()
#3  0x40093ee5 in ?? ()
#4  0x4001e323 in ?? ()
#5  0x4001ecd0 in ?? ()
#6  0x08170020 in gethostbyname2_r ()
#7  0x0816a5c0 in gaih_inet ()
#8  0x0816aba2 in getaddrinfo ()
#9  0x0804bec2 in VerifyConnection (conn=0x40259700,
    buf=0xbadfea62 "134.82.133.1 alcor.eg.bucknell.edu root 0")
    at cfservd.c:1792
#10 0x0804a581 in BusyWithConnection (conn=0x40259700) at cfservd.c:1212
#11 0x0804a1c3 in HandleConnection (conn=0x40259700) at cfservd.c:1112
#12 0x08136b2b in pthread_start_thread ()

I'm wondering if any of this is load related.  I have around 100-110 hosts
connecting to one server with a splay time of 30 minutes.

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide.  Thanks in advance for the
help!