Re: Has Anyone Used Cfengine With Dynamic IP Addresses?

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Has Anyone Used Cfengine With Dynamic IP Addresses?
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:01:00 -0500

Using cfservd in the normal manner may be more difficult with dynamic addresses, but I don't see why cfagent would care (unless you told it to).

Just kick off your cfagent's via cron or ssh (or cfexecd?), and perhaps do your file copies over NFS or via rsync shellcommands or something. With a little creativity you can probably have a nicely-running cfengine setup that generally ignores the cfengine-specific auth stuff. It won't be very boss, but it should basically work...

Obviously, this puts the onus of security on you, however :-)

Rasheda M Menzies wrote:

In the book, _Automating Unix and Linux Administration_, it says that, "It is difficult, if not impossible, to use cfengine with dynamic IPaddresses". Has anyone actually had success with Red Hat clients, ie laptops, which go on/off network at any time and loses their IP addresses? If so, please let me know how this
is done in cfengine.

Thanks,
Rasheda
Rasheda M. Menzies
Software Engineer
IBM Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Road, Route 134 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Tel: 914-945-2401, Tie: 862-2401
E-mail: rasheda@us.ibm.com