Re: Renaming file using wildcard

From: Tod Oace
Subject: Re: Renaming file using wildcard
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:54:36 -0700

I know that there will only be one file that matches the wildcard but I have no way of precomputing the date stamp. Is there any way I can do something like: (below obviously doesn't work)

copy:
  /etc/snmp/conf/_snmpdx.rsrc.JASS.* dest=/etc/snmp/conf/snmpdx.rsrc

How about:

        shellcommands:
                "mv /etc/snmp/conf_snmpdx.rsrc.JASS.*
/etc/snmp/conf/snmpdx.rsrc"

Seems like it'd work, and it wouldn't leave the old copy.

It'd be nice though, I think, to be able to translate file names so /usr/sbin/sendmail,${os} and /usr/sbin/makemap,${os} could be installed in one copy instead of two. I could've done "copy: /usr/sbin/${os} dest=/usr/sbin include=sendmail include=makemap server=...". I'm copying out of a checkout of CVS repository by the way.

When I was first deciding how to deal with installs of binaries I was hoping to find a way to rename files on the fly. I got excited when I looked at filters until I realized it was just effectively find(1). It's a very cool feature, but it doesn't modify file names like I thought it was going to...just the set of files that are going to be worked with.

I know it's a big change, but if filter: had some kind of "strip=re-suffix" feature, and things using the filter knew how to use the old and new versions of the file, that would be very handy wouldn't it? Or maybe all I really want is for copy: to have some kind of "strip=re-suffix" feature. Or maybe "copy: /usr/sbin/${os}/" isn't a bad idea. How are other people doing it?

--
Tod Oace, Intel Corporation <tod@intel.com>