question on packaging cfengine for Gentoo Linux

From: Kurt Lieber
Subject: question on packaging cfengine for Gentoo Linux
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:37:38 -0400

We're in the process of overhauling our package for cfengine in Gentoo
Linux.  The new package (ebuild in Gentoo terms) has been submitted by a
user and it has one section that I'm not sure is correct.  Instead of
keeping /usr/sbin/cf* and /var/cfengine/bin/cf* separate, it symlinks them
with the following comment:

        # Link cfagent into the cfengine tree otherwise cfexecd won't
        # find it. Most hosts cache their copy of the cfengine
        # binaries here. This is the default search location for the
        # binaries.

        ln -sf /usr/sbin/cf* /var/cfengine/bin/

From everything I've read in the manual, those directories are separate for
a reason and thus, that symlink should probably be removed from the final
ebuild.  Would it be more appropriate to copy /usr/bin/cf* to
/var/cfengine/bin/?

--kurt