processes: broken in 2.0.8p+ ?

From: Jason Sinnamon
Subject: processes: broken in 2.0.8p+ ?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:35:20 +1000

I am having problems with a config that used to work with an earlier release of cfengine (2.0.5).

My actionsequence is something like this:

  = ( processes
      everything else
     processes.Signal)

The idea being that if anything was installed then signals could be sent to appropriate daemons such as syslogd.

The problem I have had since upgrading to 2.0.8p1 is that the initial processes action does not seem to be performed anymore (which just checks for processes) but the processes.Signal is.  Nothing has changed with regard to the config.

When cfagent is run with --verbose --inform --debug I get this:

DEFINED PROCESSES

PROCESS syslogd
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=SIGHUP
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 IfElapsed=1, ExpireAfter=120
 Define
 ElseDefine

PROCESS inetd
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=SIGHUP
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 IfElapsed=1, ExpireAfter=120
 Define
 ElseDefine

PROCESS /usr/sbin/cron
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=SIGHUP
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 IfElapsed=1, ExpireAfter=120
 Define
 ElseDefine
)
Which are just the processes I would normally signal, however other processes I check for are not listed at all.  The two processes actions are in different files.

The only thing that changed was that I upgraded.    I downgraded to the version I was using before and got this with exactly the same config:

syslogd
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=SIGHUP
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 Define
 ElseDefine

inetd
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=SIGHUP
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 Define
 ElseDefine

/usr/sbin/cron
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=SIGHUP
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 Define
 ElseDefine

ypserv
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=NOSIG
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 Define NIS_Slave
 ElseDefine

prusage
 Restart =  (useshell=y)
 matches: ^@-1
 signal=NOSIG
 action=""> ChDir=, ChRoot=
 Define
 ElseDefine PrusageDown
)

I upgraded to 2.1.0b7 and still the same problem.

Any ideas ?

Thanks...JS

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipients(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is prohibited. It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return e-mail. You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard copies produced.