RE: Executing a file only on later passes

From: Wheeler, John
Subject: RE: Executing a file only on later passes
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:53:42 -0600

I guess I'm just not creative enough, or smart enough to figure out how
to utilize this feature (kinda why I asked for examples of someone who
relies on this). The "clutter" I was speaking of is simply when I debug
a script I seem to always get pages and pages of "pass 2" stuff where
nothing gets executed. I use cfengine for all of our deploys to the web
and app tier, so some scripts (or kinda functions as I've written them)
will never have/need/require/utilze a second pass. I have specifically
write them to be executed in one pass. Maybe that is less elegant, more
brute force, but its much easier for the simple admin follow

shellcommands.stoptomcat.registerDeploy
copy.registerDeploy
tidy.registerDeploy
links.registerDeploy
shellcommands.starttomcat.registerDeploy

Than to rely on some activated class that will be picked up in a second
pass.

Finally, I'm not advocating any change (though I do like chip's idea).
I'm just suggesting to one individual how he might "disable" multiple
passes as I have. Are you suggesting this change will fundamentally
break cfengine?