Re: Executing a file only on later passes

From: Wipf, Stefan
Subject: Re: Executing a file only on later passes
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:01:13 -0600

We've disabled the second pass. I can't think of all the reasons
just now, but the ones that immediately come to mind are:

- Relying on the second pass to resolve hidden dependencies is
  not reliable and just seems wrong.
- it obscures dependencies and can make an already complex
  configuration very convoluted.
- Often order does matter.  Sometimes things do not get done
  unless the order is right
- Most importantly, there does not seem to be a real need for it.
  There is nothing stopping us from explicitly forcing as many
  passes as needed on a per action basis in in the action sequence.
  This gives more refined control than to brute force a global
  second pass.