Re: New packages: feature

From: Phil D'Amore
Subject: Re: New packages: feature
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:43:05 -0500

That's not a bad idea. This has been a small source of frustration for me, so I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. That should be trivial to implement. I will try to work up a patch for that in the next week or so and see how it works.

Do apt and yum support multiple packages on the command line? Do you think it'd be better to gather a list of packages to be installed and run the command in one go, or run the command for each package? The only true benefit I could see by grouping would be for dependancies, but apt and yum probably handle deps already so it may not be much of a benefit. Doing one per package would likely be easier to code :).

Allen Bettilyon wrote:

Hello all,

So, I've been reading about the new packages: feature in cf, and have a
few questions/suggestion.

Would it be possible to define a general purpose install command?  It
seems rather tedious to define every rpm as follows:

packages:

 some_package   elsedefine=needs_some_package
 some_package2 elsedefine=needs_some_package2

shellcommands:
 needs_some_package::
        "/sbin/apt-get install some_package"

 needs_some_package2::
        "/sbin/apt-get install some_package2"

Perhaps a global install_package command where the name of the package
gets passed to the command?  This would work nicely for the currently
used package management systems such as apt or yum.  I envision
something like:

packages:

class::

  pkgmgr = ( rpm )
  DefaultInstallCommand = ( /sbin/apt-get install )
  DefaultAction = ( install )
package1
  package2
  packageN

  customPackage
action=none elsedefine=custom_install_method

shellcommands:

  custom_install_method:
      "..."

- Allen