Re: what happens when cfservd is unavailable?

From: Tod Oace
Subject: Re: what happens when cfservd is unavailable?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:19:34 -0800

I've got a large installation (~800 machines) running cfengine 2.0.4

Are you using SplayTime? I had trouble with cfengine clients gobbling up all of my servers' connections. Rather than raising the limit I found and used SplayTime to spread out the load. We're running cfengine every 30 minutes here, so I set SplayTime to 25 minutes in update.conf. This gives systems running on the 25th minute an ample five minutes to run and release locks:

control:
        !slave.!master::        SplayTime = ( 25 ) # minutes

One other problem I had was with incorrect ethernet duplex settings on a couple systems. Their runs weren't finishing within thirty minutes, and after a few days the connections were all busied up. It'd be nice if cfservd had a maximum connection time limit so I'd get cfengine email from the problem system rather than from all systems. Tons of warnings is better than no warnings though.

But whenever it happens some of the clients have issues -- it looks,
in fact, as though the stanza in my update.conf that updates the
cfengine configs on each client decides that since cfservd isn't
running it should *DELETE* the configs from the client side.

No idea there. I started with 2.0.7p3 this past summer and haven't seen that problem.

                                        Will

--
Tod Oace, Intel Corporation <tod@intel.com>