Re: bootstrapping cfengine.

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: bootstrapping cfengine.
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:39:18 -0600

Not having dependencies in cfengine and core admin tools is good, as Luke
pointed out earlier.  If one of the purposes of a tool is to help the system
recover from some calamity (down network, misconfiguration, hosed
environment, whatever) then the fewer assumptions you make about the state of
the system, the better.

The downside is that your executables are bigger, but I've found that if I run
strip(1) on them the difference between a dynamically-linked and a
staticically-linked executable is often only a few hundred k.