cfengine:: BAD: Server is currently too busy -- increase MaxConnections

From: Thornton, John
Subject: cfengine:: BAD: Server is currently too busy -- increase MaxConnections or Splaytime?
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:43:31 -0800

Hello,

I'm receiving the error in the subject line from an average of about 6 of 24 servers in my test environment.  I suspect this is a result of some contention on the server during the update.

My current settings are as follows.

cfengine 2.1.0p1
cfexecd scheduled in cron for every 30min.
24 x solaris 5.8 (nodes)
1 x Redhat 7.2 (master)
SplayTime in update.conf = 10
MaxConnections in cfservd.conf = 100

Should I increase the splay time even more?  I'd like to deploy cfengine to more than 100 servers in production but I am concerned about servers not being able to update.  What is a reasonable splay setting and MaxConnections settings for +100 servers?

Thanks
JT