Radmind vs CFengine

From: Chris Kacoroski
Subject: Radmind vs CFengine
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:42:24 -0800

Hi,

I am looking to implement an enterprise infrastructure (see infrastructures.org) and am trying to decide between radmind and cfengine. Searching the archives and google, The only thing I could find was a transcript from a LISA '03 BoF session on configuration management. After looking at both it seems that cfengine allows a person to program into it semantics of the system files (e.g. the editfiles command) while radmind does not have any idea of what may be in a file. As such radmind can only replace files which makes it much simpler to use (e.g. no scripts to write). In addition, radmind enables a person to install software on a machine and then it will automatically figure out what files were changed and create a script to replication the installation on other machines.

Question1: Does anyone have examples of when just replacing a file will not work?

Question2: Does cfengine have any way to determine changes to a machine and create a install scripts or is it preferred to use a third party software installer for this functionality?

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"                John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski@nsd.org, 425-681-0092