Re: Radmind vs CFengine

From: Systems Administrator
Subject: Re: Radmind vs CFengine
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:06:31 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Chip Seraphine wrote:

> On Friday 09 January 2004 09:16, Wheeler, John wrote:
> > >   Speaking of which, is there a central repository of sample
> > > cfengine scripts?  CfPAN anyone?

> Given that our community is a touch smaller than Perl's, we can probably get
> away with a fairly casual structure (at least for a while).

        I guess my thought was that we could have different configurations
for managing different pieces of software, and then just reference them
from our other files.  For example, I'd like each of my servers to forward
local mail to the main mail server, and to syslog to the central logging
server.  Now if I could just install eg. postfix and include
postfix-local-forwarding.cf, and put a few parameters elsewhere, which
would do the mail forwarding automatically for me, that'd be great.  And
if I didn't like postfix, I could use eg. courier-local-forwarding.cf.
Whereas if it was a mail server, I would exclude
postfix-local-forwarding.cf and include exim-server.cf.

        Likewise with installing syslog-ng and stunnel, and then using
syslog-local-forwarding.cf or something.

        Presumably, though, that isn't the only use that people have for
such a central repository.  So it might be a good idea to have one section
labelled "by-software", and then have subdirectories for each software
from there, and configs that aren't based around a particular piece of
software can be stored in another directory.

        Anyway, just my usual ramblings...

        :)

--
Tim Nelson