Re: action sequence ;)

From: Systems Administrator
Subject: Re: action sequence ;)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:16:21 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Patryk Dawidziuk wrote:

> Hi there.
> I have a strange problem with update.conf (in cf 2.1.0b5) .
>
> I did define actionsequence as follows:
>
> actionsequence = ( resolve editfiles shellcommands copy tidy )
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is not supposed to execute things in given
> order?
> I mean at the beginning of all in my case, cfengine should ride over
> resolv.conf and fix it if there is a
> problem, then edit files that I want him to, execute a command,  _then_ copy
> what I want and
> at the end clean defined dirs? I'm asking, because it does not work in
> my case. If I delete my resolv.conf or put enything in it f.e. DNS that
> does not work, it says:
>
> Looking for an input file ./update.conf
> cf:cfengine::./update.conf:56: DNS lookup failure. Unknown host
>
> I know it could not find a host, as I said before, I put garbage in
> resolv.conf.
> I removed 'resolve' from actionsequence and put simple statement that
> edited my resolv.conf in editfiles, but it did not work either.
>
> Here's my update.conf I surely miss something obvious.

        Here's how I think it works:
1.      cfengine runs
2.      cfengine realises that it needs to update its settings from
        policyhost
3.      cfengine tries to find policyhost
4.      Resolver doesn't work, so cfengine *can't find policy host*.

        The resolver has to work at least enough so that cfengine can pull
down new config.

        There may be some option that lets cfengine run without updating
its config, but then what's the point?

        I hope this helps :).

--
Tim Nelson