Re: editfiles complexity

From: Mark . Burgess
Subject: Re: editfiles complexity
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:14:57 +0100 (MET)

Tim, thanks for this interesting discussion point. I agree with you
that the creeping featurism of editfiles has grown more like a slime mold
than a piece of archiecture. There is room to rethink this in something
like the way that you say.

The main constraint on editfiles is that operations should be convergent.
This means that one should not split the commands into something looking
like "perl" or "C" as you suggest in

 IF [No(t)] <condition> [Parameters] DO <action> [Parameters]

But perhaps something equivalent can be done. Like renaming the
commands hierarchically.

  <condition>.<action>(parameters)

or something of this kind. This would not be backwards compatible
in syntax so we would have to support both kinds (ugh) for a while,
but it is probably worth doing, if we can come up with a
fantastic syntax that no one can resist.

As long as we avoid thinking imperatively (if then else), we should be
fine. I CC Alva Couch on this, since I know that he has some ideas on this
too.

Mark

Work: +47 22453272            Email:  Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no
Fax : +47 22453205            WWW  :  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark