Other possible cfengine weak areas?

From: Systems Administrator
Subject: Other possible cfengine weak areas?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:41:48 +1100 (EST)

        Hi again.  I've pretty much finished setting up cfengine so it
rolls out a default machine the way I like it.  I thought I'd send in a
list of the areas where I felt I had to make additional scripts/software
to get everything to work like I want it:
-       Packages.  This is only kind of a cfengine thing.  I wanted a
        multi-host package management system which would choose packages
        based on cfengine classes.  Hopefully I'll be able to post this
        sometime.  But it works.  PostgreSQL/Perl
-       Network interface setup.  I wanted to be able to set up multiple
        virtual network interfaces with different IPs, based on the
        primary IP.  I integrated this into the Package Management
        software above, since it already had a hosts table, and just
        needed an Interfaces table

-       Disks: I wanted basically just to:
        -       Be alerted when a disk is more than 80% full
        -       Be able to set fstab options
        -       List partitions that didn't fit a certain pattern
        ...and I wanted to be able to do this for non-NFS filesystems
-       Service Management.  I wanted something that would do the
        following pseudocode:
        if(! service started) { start service }
        It wasn't too hard a script; I just called the Fedora "service"
        script, first with the "status" command, and then the "start"
        command.

        Anyway, one for the archives...

        :)

--