Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?

From: Systems Administrator
Subject: Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:54:25 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> All of these are possible and documented in cfengine.

        Hmm.  Well, I couldn't figure out how to do them (except the
service management thing, maybe).  Maybe I still don't understand cfengine
in spite of ongoing perusal of the documentation, although I like to think
I'm getting a bit of a feel for it.

> > -   Network interface setup.  I wanted to be able to set up multiple
> >     virtual network interfaces with different IPs, based on the
> >     primary IP.  I integrated this into the Package Management
> >     software above, since it already had a hosts table, and just
> >     needed an Interfaces table

        I'm guessing I'd be looking at something like:
-----
interfaces:
         "eth0:0" netmask=255.255.255.0 broadcast=ones
-----

        ...or maybe the mysterious netconfig command.  But that
interfaces section there doesn't let you specify an address.

        I note that you can specify "netconfig" in the action sequence.
Is there a corresponding undocumented "netconfig:" section of the config
file, or does it just figure this out from other info?

> > -   Disks: I wanted basically just to:
> >     -       Be alerted when a disk is more than 80% full

        Sorry, I left one out of the comment here -- I also wanted to have
cfengine figure out which filesystems exist, rather than me having to
specify them all in the cfengine config.  Is it still possible?

> >     -       Be able to set fstab options

        Does this require editfiles, or is it possible another way?

> >     ...and I wanted to be able to do this for non-NFS filesystems

        Thanks,

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator