Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:53:41 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> You are right -- the code to change the IP address was removed some time
> ago. I had forgotten. It happened when the various Unix kernels started
> to diverge and the "standard" way of doing this evaporated.
>
> We should rewrite this part of cfengine to palm this off the
> ifconfig/ipconfig. That means we need to compile a list of
> ifconfig syntaxes for different systems. We could then deal with
> ipv6 at the same time.

        Ok.  Hmm.  I guess the only thing is, the "proper" way to eg.
create virtual interfaces on a Redhat box is to create a file called eg.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0-range0 and add the appropriate
contents, and then restart the network service.  Is there some way to also
incorporate this idea?

        :)

        Thanks,

--