Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Other possible cfengine weak areas?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:10:46 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, David Douthitt wrote:

> It does, however, do this.  In fact, using apt-get (part of apt-rpm)
> will download not only the specified RPMs but all necessary required
> RPMs, and the lastest version to boot.  This is assuming that you
> have apt set up to download from a site which carries all of this -
> which freshrpms.net does for Red Hat and Yellow Dog.

        Yeah, cool.  Maybe I just need a functional brain :).  I'd be
making my own Fedora mirror for all this, to save on bandwidth.

> I would like something that removes RPMs as you said - I think using
> the inverted form would work:
>
> web:
>     "apt-get -qqy install apache"
>
> !web:
>     "rpm -e apache"
>
> ...or would that be too much?

        Also, if, in an emergency I install tcpdump on a web server, or
even better, something like ngrep which I might not have listed as a
package anywhere, it will stay there.

> I was thinking I should write a script to handle some of this (in Ruby
> of course) and send it a list of RPMs with a leading + or - and let
> it remove and add as appropriate.  Thus you could specify what a
> particular server looks like, and replicate it elsewhere.

        That's almost what I've done, except I send through a complete
list of packages I want on that machine, and then it removes anything not
on the list.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson