Copy Times for Remote Copy

From: Andrew Greenwood
Subject: Copy Times for Remote Copy
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:42:19 -0400

Hi,
        I am writing to inquire on what speed should be obtained with a
copy: from a network cfservd server. The 2 systems are on a 100MB
backbone. I am copying approx 250MB (27185 files) and it is taking
+22minutes. I am using the purge feature as I would like to keep an
exact mirror of these filesystems.. However this is only a fraction of
what needs to be synced and the whole lot 1.4GB is taking nearly 3 hours
to complete which is unacceptable in our case. Also the time to copy
doesn't seem to go down after the initial sync.. Is this because I am
using purge? Does cfengine store a database of ctimes and only sync what
has changed or does it just start over again each run?

I am running Cfengine 2.0.6

Here is the commands I am using:

copy:
        /www                            dest=/www_backup
                                        server=$(master_www)
                                        recurse=inf
                                        purge=true

Here is a clip of the output from cfagent -v:
I have another question regarding this. Why is cfengine changing the
permissions back and forth during the copy? Is this not added overhead?

cfengine:server01: Copying from
server02.worldgaming.com:/www/servers/httpd-2.044/bin/apachectl
cfengine:server01: /www/servers_cas02/httpd-2.044/bin/apachectl had
permission 600, changed it to 755
cfengine:server01: /www/servers_cas02/httpd-2.044/bin/dbmmanage wasn't
at destination (copying)
cfengine:server01: Copying from
server02.worldgaming.com:/www/servers/httpd-2.044/bin/dbmmanage
cfengine:server01: /www/servers_cas02/httpd-2.044/bin/dbmmanage had
permission 600, changed it to 755
cfengine:server01: /www/servers_cas02/httpd-2.044/bin/envvars-std wasn't
at destination (copying)

Many thanks in advance for any enlightening information!

Andrew Greenwood
System Administrator
World Gaming PLC, Antigua