Re: excludes in copies

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: excludes in copies
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:36:11 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Anne Cross wrote:

>  calendar.production::
>     $(sourcedir)servers/calendar/calendar-prod/
>        dest=/usr/local server=$(CFMaster) r=inf exclude=RCS/ exclude=*,v
>
> and the "exclude=RCS/" doesn't appear to work.  The RCS files themselves
> aren't copying because of the "exclude=*,v" but I'd like to not send the
> directories out either.

I know you've already found a solution, but the real problem is the
difference between 'ignore' and 'exclude'.  'ignore' roughly translates as
"don't even look" and 'exclude' is "don't copy the files inside".  If you
just specify 'ignore=RCS/', you'll get the behaviour you want.  But the
global ignore: action is equivalent in most cases, so there you go.

Luke

--
The salesman asked me what size I wore, I told him extra-medium.
                -- Stephen Wright