Re: [Cfengine] Re: Bootstrapping

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:52:03 +0100

Tim Nelson wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

I do not know how to bind an outgoing connection to a specific IP
address. Tell me how it is done and I will help.

Hi Mark,

I pretty cavalierly assumed this was possible, and yet I can't find any
evidence that it is.  Most likely even if it is possible it's not portable
or easy.

According to my reading ("man 7 ip" on Fedora Core 1) you can do a "bind" before a "connect", and use the bind to assign the local ip. "man 2 bind" on a FC1 install has more info. If I'm right, it's portable and easy :).
For cfservd there is an option to bind to a interface:
 BindToInterface
  If this is set to a specific IP address of an IP configured interface,
  cfservd will listen for connections only on that interface. On
  Multi-homed hosts this allows one to restrict the traffic to one
  interface. Note, Unix only allows one or all interfaces to be
  selected. An interface must be configured with an IP address in order
  to be bound.

Maybe we also must have one for cfagent. So we can specify which interface to use when makeing a connection to cfservd?