Re: Bootstrapping

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:41:02 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> There *has* to be a buffer between any network service and
> cfengine so that it can fail gracefully. Cfengine's running
> should not depend on whether there is an active network
> connection or not.

Well, for one I don't really think that's possible or advisable in most
cases (I'm willing to depend on DNS in most cases), but this is a
different case, anyway; I'm talking about cfservd depending on a network
service, not cfagent.

I think this requirement is very reasonable, and I already do it for
plenty of other cases -- I'd hate to see what my network looked like if
LDAP actually failed completely.

And as usual, it should be up to me to decide if I'm willing to make
cfservd vulnerable to a failure elsewhere in the system, it should not be
up to cfservd.

Luke

--
Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.