Re: Bootstrapping

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:06:03 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Chip Seraphine wrote:

> I have my cfagents dump their $(allclasses) variable, suitably reformatted,
> into a file at the very end of each run.  This is useful for seeing 'what
> happened' and such.
>
> Consider maintaining (in LDAP, another script, or cfengine itself) a list of
> classes that should and should not be defined, and check those off against
> the above-described list.  Discrepancies generate notifications in your NMS
> or whatever....

That's definitely a good idea where it can work, but it won't work for
most of my cases.  One of the things I like the most about cfengine is how
easy it is to use it to classify my hosts; I definitely don't want to move
that classification outside of cfengine.

We need to begin adding error checking and/or error counting into
cfengine.  Without that, we're kind of stuck doing post-processing outside
of cfengine, which is a lot of extra work.

Luke

--
Westheimer's Discovery:
        A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a