Re: Cfengine for HP-UX on IA64

From: Chia Yew Lee
Subject: Re: Cfengine for HP-UX on IA64
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:32:21 +0800

Hi Tod,

        I did managed to overcome the "I don't understand what architecture
this is!" error message. I went thru the source code and figured that a number
of changes were required - in fact, I added a new class. The attached patches
are for cfengine 2.1.0p1. The last test I did was on cfengine 2.0.8. Back then,
we had a Itanium loaner box from HP where I can do my testing. Anyway, standard
disclaimer applies. :)

        It's kind of hard to talk about the PA-RISC architectures and OS in a
simple email so before I bored everyone out, drop me an email for more info.
*:D

        What we have done was to compile cfengine on a HPUX 11.00 K420 box
(PA-RISC 1.1/PA7200 32-bit 120Mhz processor). The compiler option used was
"+DAportable". This generate a single binary for PA-RISC 32-bits and 64 bits
processors. That would not give you the best computing performance but I don't
think we need that on cfengine at this moment. And we saw what HP means by
binary compatibility, the binary actually executes on the Itanium running HPUX
11i v1.5 and give similar output as to what we have seen on the other PA-RISCs
boxes.

        As for the shared/static library, I did it the lazy way. Shared
libraries on HPUX has a .sl suffix while static library has a .a suffix. I
simply renamed the .sl so that the configuration and compilation process will
never get to find a shared library to use. Of course, that will end up with a
fatter binary because all the functions calls (BerkeleyDB, openssl, flex) are
now "bundled".

        Hope this helps. :)

Chia Yew Lee
IT/Enterprise Hosting,